The MySQL Tools package includes a Startup Item and a custom PreferencePane for Mac OS X 10.2 or 10.3. The software is being distributed via an installer package which will install the files in the /Library folder at the root level of your hard drive. Some manual configuration is currently required following the installation though I am going to work on adding the necessary preflight/postflight scripts to the installer to take care of this.
There is also one potential security issue with the software (see the Read Me portion of the installer for additional details) which I am also intending to address so I do not recommend using this in potentially high-risk deployment environments at the moment. It should be fine for local testing and development though.
New in this version is:
- Full Mac OS X installer for the software
- First implementation of a Software Update mechanism to look for new versions of the software
- Link to get more information on MySQL
- Small improvements to the StartupItem
- Code cleanup and bug fixes
I have a few ideas for additions and fixes to improve the tools which will appear in future releases.