Scott Boms (that’s him in the picture above in case you were wondering) has been designing stuff using analog and digital tools for many, many years. Currently, Design Lead and Studio Manager of the Analog Research Lab at Facebook in Menlo Park, California, he’s worked with organizations across North America and Europe such as PayPal, Masterfile, HSBC, General Mills, Hyundai, FiveRuns, Toronto Life Magazine, The Estate of Marshall McLuhan and Gingko Press, while acting as principal at tiny design consultancy, Wishingline.
Along with fellow typography nerds and designery people Luke Dorny, Grant Hutchinson, Carolyn Wood and Brian Warren, Scott operates Ligature, Loop & Stem an award-winning purveyor of limited edition typographic miscellanea.
When not designing or tinkering on one of many devices, Scott can be found doodling, painting letters in the garage, reading, writing, taking pictures, listening to music, writing music and releasing records or actually attempting to have a life away from the internet with his wonderful wife, two beautiful kids, and good friends.
Talks and Workshops
I occasionally share my love and curiosity of design and typography through talks and workshops. In the Analog Lab at Facebook I teach a regular introduction to brush lettering class and have taught classes on silkscreen and Risograph printing techniques at Facebook offices around the globe.
Events I’ve spoken or led on-site workshops at include:
- Type Directors Club — Feb 6 to Mar 29, 2019 (New York, NY)
- HOW Design Live — May 7-10, 2019 (Chicago, IL)
- Magical Riso 2018 (Maastricht, NL)
- Adobe Creative Jam at Hallmark (Kansas City, MO)
- Risograph Printmaking: Analog Lab × Minnesota Street Project (San Francisco, CA)
- WEBdeLDN 18: Digital Outside, Analog Inside (London, UK)
- AIGA Y 23: Illuminate (San Diego, CA)
- TypeEd Dojo: A Creative Culture from the Inside-Out (Online)
- OFFSET 2018 (Dublin, IE)
- TypeCon 2017: Counter! (Boston, MA)
- TypeCon 2015: Condensed (Denver, CO)
- f8 Facebook Developer Conference (San Francisco, CA)
- UX Scotland 2015 (Scotland, UK)
- TypeCon 2014: Capitolized (Washington, DC)
- TypeCon 2012: MKE Shift (Milwaukee, WI)
- TypeCon 2011: Surge (New Orleans, LA)
- Lecture, Centennial College (Toronto, ON)
About this Site
Since day 1 this notebook has run on Movable Type (oldskool baby!) and although it’s changed domains twice and moved around from one web host to another, it’s finally found the right home at Linode. They rock… and give control freaks just enough rope to hang themselves.
P.S. Scott is not currently accepting freelance design projects and apologizes for talking about himself in the third person. It’s weird, isn’t it?