A fab hour-long performance from Seattle's Deep Sea Diver, a great post-holiday gift.
- Panopticom is the first new album track from Peter Gabriel in (checks notes) 20 years and it’s worth the wait. I’m intrigued by his idea of the Panopticom (not Panopticon) but am not surprisingly skeptical of the underlying work needed to carefully manage such an experience. Officially looking forward to the next Full Moon now though.
- I wholly concur with Darren Mooney's critical revisit of Rian Johnson’s Star Wars blockbuster The Last Jedi. It’s a masterwork of deconstructing mythologies.
- How are these updates to rules of the road generally communicated from official channels? I bet the vast majority of people in California haven’t heard about this change to increase bicycle safety.
- File under places I would live happily is this beautiful home in the Swedish wilderness.
- Why are there so many tech layoffs, and why should we be worried? Required reading even if you’re not in tech.
- Just wait for the fun of dealing with embedded tech upgrades and companies who are more than willing to ship experimental software upgrades at scale.
- Greg’s probably not wrong about what's coming (if not already here) with the increase in AI-generated content.
- The cracks in modern digital experiences, especially those connected to a phone, are starting to grow, and into unexpected territory with Gen-Z.
- I don’t play many games, but Alphaputt sure looks like fun.
- Behold: Zachary Lieberman's Atlas of Blobs!
Notable Type Releases
- Including support for Latin, Cyrillic and Greek languages, Tekst includes 3 distinct varieties — A, D, and M for Analog (print), Digital (screen) and M (mono, works everywhere) and loads of decorative pictograms. Delightful!
- Neue Television from Nice to Type feels like a beautiful piece of retro magic. Definitely want to find a reason to license this for something. Seems like it’s made for lenticular printing which coincidentally I’ve been researching recently…
- DSType released Vinco, a reinterpretation of Morris Fuller Benton’s Clearface in Display, Title, and Text styles with a particularly fresh feeling panache.
- The high contrast urban, industrial Min Sans Stencil hit 1.0 status on Future Fonts.
- Glyphtic DJR Lowercase is the January 2023 Font-of-the-Month release with deep historical roots and victorian charm.